As a business owner you know that finding quality employees can be frustrating. The recruitment and onboarding process is usually time-consuming and hard to deal with. Plus, you have to determine whether you need permanent, full-time or temporary staff.
Here are 5 tips for hiring the right people:
- Write a great job description – One of the best things you can do is write a job description that really portrays what you are looking for. According to the Wynhurst Group, 22% of staff turnover occurs in the first 45 days of employment. Can you imagine taking the time to hire someone and after a month and a half they quit? How frustrating, not to mention the time and money it will take to hire someone new. This is your opportunity to create a description that includes every skill, duty and responsibility the candidate will be in charge of. Also, be sure to include future responsibilities that you would like to see the person taking care of as well. This way, the expectations are clear from the get go.
- Ask the right questions – Not asking the right questions of a candidate during the interview is a major problem. Ask open-ended questions that require the person to think and come back with a response that will give you a glimpse into how they solve problems.
- Prescreen your applicants – Instead of wasting the time of your candidate and more importantly, your time, prescreen him or her for adequate salary requirements and culture fit. A prescreen can be performed over the phone.
- Perform a background check – One of the biggest things you can do to ensure you aren’t hiring someone that can cause more harm than good, is to perform a background check for employment. If you’re unsure on how to go about performing a background check, the FDIC published an article on the Effective Pre-Employment Background Screening Process.
- Effectively tell him or her what’s expected – This one is big. During the interview process, you will have a chance to tell your potential new hire about the company culture, what he or she should expect to do on a daily basis and how you expect your candidate to act.
At the end of the day, hiring new staff members takes a lot of time and energy. That’s why many businesses use the help of a staffing agency. A staffing agency can prescreen candidates, schedule interviews and usually have a large talent pool to choose from so you will not have to wait a long time for a potential new hire.
In our guide, the Business Owner’s Complete Guide to Successfully Hiring Temporary Staff and Direct Hires, you will find even more valuable insights into finding the right staff for your business and how you can maximize the benefits of partnering with a staffing agency.